Skip to content

Nearly a Disaster

I was in the kitchen yesterday, playing on my iPad, as you do, when I got called away by something needing my attention. So I put my iPad down on the nearest flat surface, which happened to be the ceramic hob. Which was off, and had been for several hours since breakfast.

When I came back into the kitchen, just moments later, I was greeted by a cloud of acrid smoke and a horrible burning smell. I must have knocked the control knob of the hob on my way past, because it was on full blast.

The melted remains of my iPad case

Fortunately, I had a rugged case on my iPad. It might have been drop-proof, but it clearly wasn’t heat-proof, as you can see from the photo above. Luckily though the iPad itself wasn’t damaged at all. So I only needed to replace the case (which I did the same day – it’s clearly worth having one!) and not the tablet itself. Phew! The hob is a bit of a mess though, and it’s going to take a bit of elbow grease to shift the melted plastic……

{ 1 } Comments

  1. pauld | 26 November 2019 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

    I took an old Amazon Kindle outside for ‘secure destruction’ and got sledgehammer to it. The lithium battery certainly heated up 🙂